Carbohydrates are widely distributed in plants and animals to fulfill both structural and metabolic roles.
In plants, synthesized out CO2 and water by photosynthesis and steroid as starch or changed to cellulose to provide a framework. Animals can synthesize some carbohydrates from fat and protein.
However, the bulk of animal carbohydrate is derived from plants.
Index of the Article
Notes and Practical theory on Carbohydrates:
- What is Carbohydrate?
- Classification of Carbohydrates
- Classification of Polysaccharides
- Color reactions of Carbohydrates
- Anthrone method
In the given below MCQ on carbohydrates (Multiple Choice Questions) helps you to check your knowledge on Carbohydrates basics.
Multiple Choice Question – MCQ on Carbohydrates
1. Biomolecules simply refer to as “Staff of life” in the given….
a) Protein b) Lipids c) Carbohydrate d) Vitamins
2. In carbohydrates special functional groups are present in the given following:
a) Alcohol & Carboxyl groups b) Aldehyde & Ketone groups c) Hydroxyl groups & Hydrogen groups d) Carboxyl groups & Others
3. The majority of the monosaccharides found in the human body are of …
a) L-type b) D-type c) DL-types d) None of the above
4. The simplest carbohydrate is ….
a) Dihydroxy acetone b) Glycerldehyde c) Glucose d) Gulose
5. Examples of Epimers….
a) Glucose & Galactose b) Glucose & Ribose c) Mannose & Glucose d) a & c
6. “Lobry de Bruyn Alberda Van Ekenstein transformation” is the reaction of ….
a) Glucose with mild alkali b) Lactose with enzyme c) Sucrose with diluted acid d) Starch with iodine
7. Fermentation is the degradation of complex organic substances into simpler ones by the activity of living cells through the agency of ….
a) Acid b) Alkali c) Oxidizing substances d) Enzymes (Zymase)
8. The undermentioned compound is an acid mucopolysaccharide….
a) Dicumarol b) EDTA c) Hyaluronic acid d) Glycogen
9. Turanose is …
a) Reducing disaccharides of glucose and fructose b) Non reducing disaccharide c) 7-methyl sugar d) a deoxy sugar
10. One of the following has reducing properties…
a) Glucuronic acid b) Gluconic acid c) Glucaric acid d) Mucic acid
11. One of the following will answer “Molisch test”…
a) Protein b) Lipids c) Mucoproteins d) Flavo proteins
12. The red precipitate formed when glucose is heated with “Benedict’s reagent” is…
a) Cupric hydroxide b) Cuprous hydroxide c) Cupric oxide d) cuprous oxide
13. Digitonin is a ….
a) Protein b) Glycoside c) Lipid d) Alkaloid
14. The following Sugar exhibits inversion of optical rotation on heating with dilute acid ….
a) Sucrose b) Glucose c) Fructose d) Lactose
15. One of the following does not have Sulfuric acid groups…
a) Heparin b) Hyaluronic acid c) Chondroitin sulfate d) Kerato sulfate
16. The end product of hydrolysis of “Starch” by amylase is …
a) Soluble starch b) Glucose c) Dextrins d) Maltose
17. Example for “Fructosan” is ……..
a) Starch b) Inulin c) Cellulose d) Chitin
18. The reagent used for distinguishing a reducing monosaccharide from a reducing disaccharide is …
a) Benedict’s reagent b) Barfoed’s reagent c) Fehling’s reagent d) Selwinoff’s reagent
19. Fructose and Glucose can be distinguished by ….
a) Selwinoff’s reagent b) Benedict’s reagent c) Fehling’s reagent d) Barfoed’s reagent
20. “Concept of tetrahedral carbon atom” are first introduces by …
a) Tarnet b) Van’t Hoff and Le Bel c) Bayer d) None of the above
Check the Answers here
The above Multiple choice questions are prepared from the Carbohydrates chapter from Biochemistry. It is MCQ on Carbohydrates Page. This is very useful for every biology student. Bookmark this page because we will update more questions on this page.
Please share this with your friends on social media. Do not forget to subscribe BiochemDen Youtube channel